From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Kurt <kurtfriedrich@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 9:03 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] AP-140 for sale

Well that sold quickly!

Scott

Kurt (or anyone else who knows the answer),
Do you recall whether yours was oil-spaced or air-spaced?  I had just assumed that the 140 EDFs were all oil-spaced, but I’ve read conflicting information about this.
Clear skies,
Scott

Kurt Mihalco

Hi Scott,
I think the 140 EDFs are oil spaced. You can look on the astrophysics website and go to their legacy products link and they have the specs there.

Regards,
Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Scott via groups.io <ssatkoastro@...> wrote:

Kurt (or anyone else who knows the answer),
Do you recall whether yours was oil-spaced or air-spaced?  I had just assumed that the 140 EDFs were all oil-spaced, but I’ve read conflicting information about this.
Clear skies,
Scott

Kurt Mihalco

FWIW, I’ve got a 160 which is sir-spaced, and a 130GT, Which is oil spaced.

Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Kurt Mihalco <mihalco@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,
I think the 140 EDFs are oil spaced. You can look on the astrophysics website and go to their legacy products link and they have the specs there.

Regards,
Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Scott via groups.io <ssatkoastro@...> wrote:

Kurt (or anyone else who knows the answer),
Do you recall whether yours was oil-spaced or air-spaced?  I had just assumed that the 140 EDFs were all oil-spaced, but I’ve read conflicting information about this.
Clear skies,
Scott

Roland Christen

The 140EDF lenses are high contrast oil spaced lenses.

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

[...]

The 130GTX is short and fast, much more what people want to use today.

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Date: Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

[...]

No problem, LOL! I thought you were a different Scott when I replied. Didn’t realize it was going back to the mailing list!
Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 12:49 PM, Scott via groups.io <ssatkoastro@...> wrote:

Yes indeed.  And sorry to Kurt Mihalco, whom I confused for you, Kurt.  Kurt Mihalco, you can ignore the email that I accidentally sent you!
Scott
_._,_._,_

Andy Ermolli

I wouldn't be surprised if large format was going to become more popular. I suspect that sensors like the IMX 461 will be more affordable in the future. Maybe in the same price range of the 16803 cameras.

Christopher Erickson

The real problem with big APO's is availability of suitable glass to make them from, at acceptable prices.

I have read that there was a lot of premium glass formulas developed during the heights of the space program and cold war and then a lot of it hit the surplus market after the Apollo program and later the Cold War ended. A lot of big APO's were made from that surplus glass. Then the commercial availability of those glass formulas went into the toilet. And there wasn't enough volume demand from the few APO scope makers for the glass manufacturers to make more.

And at least one big domestic name maker of premium glass formulas pawned off a lot of junk glass on various APO scope makers and refused to provide refunds when it was revealed that it was all defective stock. Probably stuff that NASA had originally rejected. And I believe that AP was one of those APO scope makers that really got burned.

And personally, as of today, I don't trust ANY telescope product that comes out of the former Iron Curtain countries.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Andy Ermolli <andyc67@...> wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if large format was going to become more popular. I suspect that sensors like the IMX 461 will be more affordable in the future. Maybe in the same price range of the 16803 cameras.

weems@...

I’ve been quite happy with my NASA glass APO 6” f9. It certainly doesn’t perform like it came from defective stock.

Chip

ROBERT WYNNE

I wonder does this "suitable glass quality" problem apply to a A-P 127 or a A-P 155? There seems to be a period during which the diameters between 127 and 160 was otherwise essentially between 5" and just slightly larger than 6" diameters. -Best, Robert

On 11/27/2021 4:09 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

[...]

Iñaki Lizaso

If been rasonable affordable, the big size sensor, would very popular size. Covid and lack of ICs doesn’t help too.

iPhone-tik bidalia

On 28 Nov 2021, at 09:51, Iñaki Lizaso <edif300@...> wrote:

Never ever we made such amount of mosaics… Seems that suddenly we want spent our efforts into planning mosaics and processing them …. someone needs big updating on what is actually doing in the field.

iPhone-tik bidalia