AP-140 for sale

Kurt

I will soon be putting my AP-140 up for sale on Astromart. It has the 2.7" Focuser (140EDF27), ser # 14075-61.
In perfect condition with case and rings as shipped from AP.  Also have the   AP 2.7" Photo-Visual Telecompressor (0.75x) (27TVPH)( takes it to f/5.625) and two AP drawtube extensions.
I really want to avoid shipping this, so seeing if anyone near Seattle WA is interested before I list it.  Willing to drive 100 miles to meet if that helps.
It has one "bonus" feature, which has nothing to do with the performance of the scope, but is unique to this 140 and I think quite desirable.
We can negotiate a price, not looking to make a killing, just get a fair market price.

Kurt

Well that sold quickly!

Bill Long

Not surprised. Congrats to the new owner.

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Kurt <kurtfriedrich@...>
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2021 9:03 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] AP-140 for sale

Well that sold quickly!

Scott

Kurt (or anyone else who knows the answer),
Do you recall whether yours was oil-spaced or air-spaced?  I had just assumed that the 140 EDFs were all oil-spaced, but I’ve read conflicting information about this.  
Clear skies,
Scott

Kurt Mihalco

Hi Scott,
I think the 140 EDFs are oil spaced. You can look on the astrophysics website and go to their legacy products link and they have the specs there.

Regards,
Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Scott via groups.io <ssatkoastro@...> wrote:

Do you recall whether yours was oil-spaced or air-spaced?  I had just assumed that the 140 EDFs were all oil-spaced, but I’ve read conflicting information about this.  
Clear skies,
Scott

Kurt Mihalco

FWIW, I’ve got a 160 which is sir-spaced, and a 130GT, Which is oil spaced. 

Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:40 AM, Kurt Mihalco <mihalco@...> wrote:

Hi Scott,
I think the 140 EDFs are oil spaced. You can look on the astrophysics website and go to their legacy products link and they have the specs there.

Regards,
Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:06 AM, Scott via groups.io <ssatkoastro@...> wrote:

Clear skies,
Scott

Roland Christen

The 140EDF lenses are high contrast oil spaced lenses.

Roland

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Sat, Nov 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Clear skies,
Scott

Scott

Thanks Roland and Kurt for your quick answers!  The reason I’m asking is that a friend of mine is thinking about selling his.  I’m on the fence about buying, as I currently own what I consider to be a “sensibly perfect” TEC 140ED.  But these AP 140EDFs don’t come up for sale very often, so I’m trying to acquire as much information as possible before he lists it on AM and it sells in two minutes. :-)
Clear skies,
Scott

Kurt

I assume the one you are interested in was mine.  Perfect condition, with 1 one unique, very nice cosmetic feature, that I promised Roland I would not advertise.

Scott

Yes indeed.  And sorry to Kurt Mihalco, whom I confused for you, Kurt.  Kurt Mihalco, you can ignore the email that I accidentally sent you!
Scott

Roland Christen

For your information: The 140 was originally designed to be an imaging scope for use with large format film and large format CCds such as the 16803 chips and larger. Yes it's a heavy scope for its size, but nowhere near as heavy as comparable TOA scopes from TAK. Although the tube is the same diameter as the 160EDF, it is considerably shorter. We chose that tube because many of the mechanicals already existed, plus the extra clearance between the light beam and baffles eliminates the tube currents that a smaller diameter tube with close fitting baffles would produce. 

Being an imaging scope the lens correction extends from near IR to the edge of UV. This is of course overkill for visual, and comparing it to other visual scopes in side by side tests would be akin to testing a Ferrari against an Audi to see which one is better for bringing groceries home.

Large format imaging has seen its best days, and now most people want to compress large fields into 35mm CMOS chips, so short focal lengths are in and large long scopes are somewhat out. Of course, you can compress the 140F7.5 down to F5.4 with the QTCC, so not all is lost. The focuser is beefy and  will hold almost anything you can stick on it, including de-rotators (for Alt-Az mounts), precision electronic focusers, 10 position color filter wheels and heavy specialized scientific cameras. If these are not your bag, then the scope is probably not for you.

Rolando

Clear skies,
Scott

James Stone

Roland, thanks for this information. Very informative. How would the 140EDF compare to the GTX? Comparable in all areas excepting aperture or distinguished in some other ways? Thanks in advance for any information.

Best,

James

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Reply-To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

For your information: The 140 was originally designed to be an imaging scope for use with large format film and large format CCds such as the 16803 chips and larger. Yes it's a heavy scope for its size, but nowhere near as heavy as comparable TOA scopes from TAK. Although the tube is the same diameter as the 160EDF, it is considerably shorter. We chose that tube because many of the mechanicals already existed, plus the extra clearance between the light beam and baffles eliminates the tube currents that a smaller diameter tube with close fitting baffles would produce. 

Being an imaging scope the lens correction extends from near IR to the edge of UV. This is of course overkill for visual, and comparing it to other visual scopes in side by side tests would be akin to testing a Ferrari against an Audi to see which one is better for bringing groceries home.

Large format imaging has seen its best days, and now most people want to compress large fields into 35mm CMOS chips, so short focal lengths are in and large long scopes are somewhat out. Of course, you can compress the 140F7.5 down to F5.4 with the QTCC, so not all is lost. The focuser is beefy and  will hold almost anything you can stick on it, including de-rotators (for Alt-Az mounts), precision electronic focusers, 10 position color filter wheels and heavy specialized scientific cameras. If these are not your bag, then the scope is probably not for you.

Rolando

Clear skies,
Scott

Roland Christen

The 130GTX is short and fast, much more what people want to use today.

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Nov 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Roland, thanks for this information. Very informative. How would the 140EDF compare to the GTX? Comparable in all areas excepting aperture or distinguished in some other ways? Thanks in advance for any information.
Best,
James

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Reply-To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, November 27, 2021 at 4:36 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

Rolando

Clear skies,
Scott

Kurt Mihalco

No problem, LOL! I thought you were a different Scott when I replied. Didn’t realize it was going back to the mailing list!
Kurt

On Nov 27, 2021, at 12:49 PM, Scott via groups.io <ssatkoastro@...> wrote:

Yes indeed.  And sorry to Kurt Mihalco, whom I confused for you, Kurt.  Kurt Mihalco, you can ignore the email that I accidentally sent you!
Scott
_._,_._,_

Andy Ermolli

I wouldn't be surprised if large format was going to become more popular. I suspect that sensors like the IMX 461 will be more affordable in the future. Maybe in the same price range of the 16803 cameras.

Christopher Erickson

The real problem with big APO's is availability of suitable glass to make them from, at acceptable prices.

I have read that there was a lot of premium glass formulas developed during the heights of the space program and cold war and then a lot of it hit the surplus market after the Apollo program and later the Cold War ended. A lot of big APO's were made from that surplus glass. Then the commercial availability of those glass formulas went into the toilet. And there wasn't enough volume demand from the few APO scope makers for the glass manufacturers to make more.

And at least one big domestic name maker of premium glass formulas pawned off a lot of junk glass on various APO scope makers and refused to provide refunds when it was revealed that it was all defective stock. Probably stuff that NASA had originally rejected. And I believe that AP was one of those APO scope makers that really got burned.

And personally, as of today, I don't trust ANY telescope product that comes out of the former Iron Curtain countries.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Andy Ermolli <andyc67@...> wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if large format was going to become more popular. I suspect that sensors like the IMX 461 will be more affordable in the future. Maybe in the same price range of the 16803 cameras.

weems@...

I’ve been quite happy with my NASA glass APO 6” f9. It certainly doesn’t perform like it came from defective stock.

Chip

ROBERT WYNNE

I wonder does this "suitable glass quality" problem apply to a A-P 127 or a A-P 155? There seems to be a period during which the diameters between 127 and 160 was otherwise essentially between 5" and just slightly larger than 6" diameters. -Best, Robert

On 11/27/2021 4:09 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

The real problem with big APO's is availability of suitable glass to make them from, at acceptable prices.

I have read that there was a lot of premium glass formulas developed during the heights of the space program and cold war and then a lot of it hit the surplus market after the Apollo program and later the Cold War ended. A lot of big APO's were made from that surplus glass. Then the commercial availability of those glass formulas went into the toilet. And there wasn't enough volume demand from the few APO scope makers for the glass manufacturers to make more.

And at least one big domestic name maker of premium glass formulas pawned off a lot of junk glass on various APO scope makers and refused to provide refunds when it was revealed that it was all defective stock. Probably stuff that NASA had originally rejected. And I believe that AP was one of those APO scope makers that really got burned.

And personally, as of today, I don't trust ANY telescope product that comes out of the former Iron Curtain countries.

"Always take the high road. There's less traffic."

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

Virus-free. www.avg.com

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Andy Ermolli <andyc67@...> wrote:

Iñaki Lizaso

If been rasonable affordable, the big size sensor, would very popular size. Covid and lack of ICs doesn’t help too. 

iPhone-tik bidalia

On 28 Nov 2021, at 09:51, Iñaki Lizaso <edif300@...> wrote:

Never ever we made such amount of mosaics… Seems that suddenly we want spent our efforts into planning mosaics and processing them …. someone needs big updating on what is actually doing in the field. 

iPhone-tik bidalia

On 28 Nov 2021, at 00:45, Andy Ermolli <andyc67@...> wrote:

Iñaki Lizaso

Never ever we made such amount of mosaics… Seems that suddenly we want spent our efforts into planning mosaics and processing them …. someone needs big updating on what is actually doing in the field. 

iPhone-tik bidalia

On 28 Nov 2021, at 00:45, Andy Ermolli <andyc67@...> wrote: