Topics

Roland's October 1981 Sky & Telescope article: "An Apochromatic Triplet Objective"

James Stone

At long last, Sky & Telescope has granted permission for this article to be posted to the Astro-Physics user group. Permission is limited to this user group only. This copy of the article should not be redistributed and is for private use only. Hope the community enjoys reading this as much as I did.
Best,
James

R Botero

Thank you James!
Who’s the young chap on page 2?! ;-)

Roberto

thefamily90 Phillips

Great article! I actually remember reading it when it was first published! I was sold on AP triplets after that.

JimP

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of R Botero via groups.io <rbotero@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 2:10:01 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Roland's October 1981 Sky & Telescope article: "An Apochromatic Triplet Objective"

Thank you James!
Who’s the young chap on page 2?! ;-)

Roberto

--
Jim Phillips

Chris Cook

Thanks James!
Rolando also has a article in the October 1985 S&T as well.

Chris

----- Original Message -----
Reply-To: <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
To: <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: 2/23/2021 2:02:44 PM
Subject: [ap-ug] Roland's October 1981 Sky & Telescope article: "An Apochromatic Triplet Objective"

At long last, Sky & Telescope has granted permission for this article to be posted to the Astro-Physics user group. Permission is limited to this user group only. This copy of the article should not be redistributed and is for private use only. Hope the community enjoys reading this as much as I did.
Best,
James

Pete Lardizabal

Many thanks James!

Read this long, long ago in a land far, far away. 

🤓

Pete

On Feb 23, 2021, at 2:03 PM, James Stone <jrs7r@...> wrote:

Best,
James
<Apochromatic triplet objective article.pdf>

Roland Christen

It's from a time when people actually looked thru a scope with things called eyepieces (and had telephones attached to walls, with rotary dials on them).

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Feb 23, 2021 1:52 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Roland's October 1981 Sky & Telescope article: "An Apochromatic Triplet Objective"

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

James Stone

It’s amazing how useful a Christen triplet from that era remains as compared other contemporary technological innovations such as the rotary dial telephone. Some things really do stand the test of time.

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>
Reply-To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 3:23 PM
To: "main@ap-ug.groups.io" <main@ap-ug.groups.io>

It's from a time when people actually looked thru a scope with things called eyepieces (and had telephones attached to walls, with rotary dials on them).

Rolando

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

ROBERT WYNNE

Anyone seen a video of a millennial attempting to use a rotary phone for the  first time without instruction? Hilarious. What we take for granted is already lost to the ages. -Best, Robert

On 02/23/2021 12:27 PM James Stone <jrs7r@...> wrote:

It’s amazing how useful a Christen triplet from that era remains as compared other contemporary technological innovations such as the rotary dial telephone. Some things really do stand the test of time.

From: <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of "Roland Christen via groups.io" <chris1011@...>

Rolando

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

ROBERT WYNNE

On 02/23/2021 12:40 PM ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:

Anyone seen a video of a millennial attempting to use a rotary phone for the  first time without instruction? Hilarious. What we take for granted is already lost to the ages. -Best, Robert

Rolando

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

Jay Freeman

I can (barely) remember when rotary phones would have been called "high-tech", except that the term had not been invented yet. Would you folks know what to do if you put a phone to your ear and heard someone saying "Number, please"? (Wouldn't that be a cute feature when opening a 'phone app?)

And there are still plenty of telescope mirrors that predate Roland's triplets, and even predate Roland, that are still doing yeoman duty today.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com
(personal web site)

On Feb 23, 2021, at 12:41 PM, ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:

Stone, Jack G

Guys – Did you say Party phones that went along with the patch panel?  And scary glow of the lines when a lightning storm went through? 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Freeman via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:57 PM

I can (barely) remember when rotary phones would have been called "high-tech", except that the term had not been invented yet. Would you folks know what to do if you put a phone to your ear and heard someone saying "Number, please"? (Wouldn't that be a cute feature when opening a 'phone app?)

And there are still plenty of telescope mirrors that predate Roland's triplets, and even predate Roland, that are still doing yeoman duty today.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman

---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
(personal web site)

Roland Christen

pretty hilarious!

Roland

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io; James Stone <jrs7r@...>
Sent: Tue, Feb 23, 2021 2:48 pm

Found this.

Rolando

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

Ross Elkins

Hey, I still do!
On the rotary telephone angle, I was a fleet inspector for Ma Bell in the 70’s back in my mechanic days with about 400 vans, pickups, ladder trucks etc to manage.
I clearly remember the day of the breakup of the bell system because there was a long line of installers grabbing all the bell telephone gear, handsets, recording machines, as they realized they could go into business for themselves as installer/repair men! I got what was left, pushbutton handsets, one big answering machine and other stuff!
Still have my rotary dial and digital push button test sets! I made it my business to pickup on the telephone side while maintaining their vehicles!

Rossmon

ROBERT WYNNE

I was impressed with the Astro-Physics advertisements featuring Christen ladies in front of A-P's latest and greatest and wondered if there was some precedent. I found an article that mentioned a Southern California telescope vendor credited with the first "modern" approach to sales marketing. It included a photo of the vendor's line of Newtonians with a female model showcasing the scopes in front of the store. Wonder if Roland had any relationship with the vendor or otherwise emulated the advertising which is attributed akin to advertising used by '50 - 60's car dealerships? -Best, Robert

On 02/23/2021 1:03 PM Stone, Jack G <jack.g.stone@...> wrote:

Guys – Did you say Party phones that went along with the patch panel?  And scary glow of the lines when a lightning storm went through? 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jay Freeman via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:57 PM

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman

---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
(personal web site)

ROBERT WYNNE

Yes. I can recall the day when no one had anything but a party line. A private line was considered quite a luxury. Not only were your conversations open to the public but you had to wait for a busy party line to clear before you could make your calls. Back in the day I think our number was only 5 digits? -Best, Robert

On 02/23/2021 12:56 PM Jay Freeman via groups.io <jay_reynolds_freeman@...> wrote:

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
(personal web site)

Joel Short

"I have used Wesson salad oil successfully on the 5-inch triplet."
Do you still have that 5 inch triplet?  :)
joel

Harley Davidson

THANK YOU James for this! I remember that article as I've been reading S&T since 1973. Great seeing it again.

tony

On 2/23/2021 2:02 PM, James Stone wrote:
Best,
James

Harley Davidson

Hey Roland, that's all I do :)  No cameras on my scopes. But someday...

tony

On 2/23/2021 3:23 PM, Roland Christen via groups.io wrote:

Rolando

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

Harley Davidson

And the worse part was when you screwed up with the dial you had to hang up and start over. Been there, done that.

tony

On 2/23/2021 3:48 PM, ROBERT WYNNE wrote:
Found this.

Rolando

Many thanks James!

🤓

Pete

Best,
James

Jay Freeman

That would have been Cave Astrola's units, if I recall correctly. I believe that especially petite models were particularly in demand for those ads, to make the telescopes look bigger.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
(personal web site)

On Feb 23, 2021, at 1:29 PM, ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:

I was impressed with the Astro-Physics advertisements featuring Christen ladies in front of A-P's latest and greatest and wondered if there was some precedent. I found an article that mentioned a Southern California telescope vendor credited with the first "modern" approach to sales marketing. It included a photo of the vendor's line of Newtonians with a female model showcasing the scopes in front of the store. Wonder if Roland had any relationship with the vendor or otherwise emulated the advertising which is attributed akin to advertising used by '50 - 60's car dealerships? -Best, RobertGuys – Did you say Party phones that went along with the patch panel?  And scary glow of the lines when a lightning storm went through?