3D View is dangerous

Peter Bresler

APCC crashed when I selected 3D view in SGP running remote. When I rebooted the computer the mount was lost and park 3 was way off. I had to reset clutches. Plate solves in SGP restored the sync. That was a trip out to the shed at 2AM (M57)!

Ray Gralak

Hi Peter,

APCC's 3D telescope view cannot be responsible for the mount getting lost. It reads the mount's position, but it cannot set the mount's position. The 3D View has not changed in a very long time (years) with no reported issues until recently, which makes me think this may be a Windows issue of some nature.

So, the first thing you should try is to make sure Windows is up to date. Since the 3D View uses DirectX for drawing, you should also update your computer's graphics driver. If you are using the 3D View over a remote desktop application, that complicates things further, as the remote desktop application may be contributing to the problem.

As for why your mount got lost, unparking from the wrong position or syncing to wrong coordinates are the usual reasons. We would need to look at your APCC and ASCOM driver logs to determine what happened, but it is doubtful this has anything to do with the 3D telecope view issue.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-ug.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-ug.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Bresler via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 2:13 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: [ap-ug] 3D View is dangerous

APCC crashed when I selected 3D view in SGP running remote. When I rebooted the computer the mount was
lost and park 3 was way off. I had to reset clutches. Plate solves in SGP restored the sync. That was a trip out to
the shed at 2AM (M57)!

Peter Bresler

I think the zip file is here. I could not paste the link in this message. Its not a catastrophic problem, but worth avoiding 3D view at present.

Peter

Hi Peter

what exactly do you do when you "select 3D view"? do you just click on the window?

I have SGP and APCC and I rely on 3D View (remote obs) and i haven't been able to get it to crash. i click on it, resize window, change views, etc. 

maybe i'm not doing it right

Brian

Peter Bresler

Yes, just click on the window. It happens every time if I do it while SGP is doing a slew. Usually ok if the scope is not moving.

Ray Gralak

Yes, just click on the window. It happens every time if I do it while SGP is doing a slew. Usually ok if the scope is
not moving.
That is probably an issue with the computer's graphics card, the graphics driver, or the version of DirectX on your computer. The 3D View "observes" the RA/Dec coordinates and is completely isolated from the main part of APCC, and definitely SGPro, so there is no particular reason why that would trigger an issue in the 3D View.

BTW, I looked at your logs, but they didn't include the ASCOM logs, nor the approximate time of the issue, so I couldn't really do much. I did however notice that APCC could not get the site latitude from the mount, either because of a communications issue, or the mount was powered off. I suggest powering the mount before connecting via APCC.

-Ray

-----Original Message-----
From: main@ap-ug.groups.io [mailto:main@ap-ug.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Bresler via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2021 8:27 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] 3D View is dangerous

Yes, just click on the window. It happens every time if I do it while SGP is doing a slew. Usually ok if the scope is
not moving.

Peter Bresler

That makes sense. The crashing computer is the Kingdel industrial computer which I now am using to control the scope. Its graphics card probably is rudimentary. I will just need to avoid using 3D view....it is not essential. Otherwise goto's and tracking have been good.