Re: Vikas Chander APOD

ROBERT WYNNE

I think we agree on point. There may even be a million ways to render this image. Some edit digital images with 16 million different colors down to the pixel to suit their own taste. Even eliminating what are regarded as "unwanted" pixels.The beauty of one version of an image over another only proves the old saw, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But my question remains; is the captured image true to the actual image for the human eye within certain close parameters or is it a matter of individual subjective taste gone wild? In the medical industry there are a lot of ways to enhance photos of certain medical conditions to arrive at a precise diagnosis especially with staining and contrast media, but yet only one way to arrive at a realistic photo as one post referred a legally accurate photograph. Perhaps a comparison to X-Ray imaging provides a cleaner comparison. There is only one real variable a radiologist uses when interpreting a X-ray image - contrast and perhaps light and dark as B&W is the only variable in this form of imaging. If astrographs are allowed the full palette of variables in color we are much like sheep who have lost their way. If only shown a "finished processed image" we don't know much information about the original image. I agree with those who have posted that using filters for specific bandwidths where the color is known for a particular bandwidth is the only way to produce true to the original images particularly if the time spent with each filter is compensated. -Best, Robert

On 08/05/2022 3:59 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

There must be 1000 ways to present or take this data. Here's my version taken with a small chip CCD:
https://www.astrobin.com/full/bjp0m9/B/
https://www.astrobin.com/full/bjp0m9/B/?mod=&real=

From: ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io; Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>; main@ap-gto.groups.io <main@ap-gto.groups.io>
Sent: Fri, Aug 5, 2022 4:46 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Vikas Chander APOD

That is special and gorgeous. I have to wonder how many ways one could process data for this image and produce a different but equally gorgeous photo? -Best, Robert
On 08/05/2022 11:27 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Congrats to Mr. Chander for his gorgeous image of the Trifid nebula. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap220805.html

Taken with his 150 TOA refractor on a 1600AE mount.