Re: 110 scope musings

Roland Christen

How big (length and width) and heavy is it and will it fit in the overhead? Will it truly cover a full frame CMOS imager without lateral color in the corners?

From: Steve Armen <st5.armen@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 22, 2022 6:35 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] 110 scope musings

I know the optical design is not the same, however ...

FSQ106edx4 specs:

Aperture: 106mm
Focal length at native f/5: 530mm
Image circle: 88mm
Back distance: 178mm

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 4:20 PM James Stone via groups.io <jrs7r=virginia.edu@groups.io> wrote:
The 110 is pretty clearly differentiated from other wide field refractor offerings and will serve a presently unmet need.

On Jun 22, 2022, at 7:17 PM, Steve Armen <st5.armen@...> wrote:

For imaging use in the market today, I don't see the need for another premium fast widefield (relatively short focal length) refractor. There are many available that perform wonderfully. Personally I would much prefer f/6 to f/7 with a flattener only. I feel that would be a more unique offering. Just my opinion, worth the paper it is printed on :-)

On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 2:10 PM Chris White <chris.white@...> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 03:46 PM, Roland Christen wrote:
Right now we have an optional TCC that produces F5 focal ratio for the full frame CMOS cameras. I have some designs for a flattener but have not made a final determination as to the focal ratio. Making it F6 would seem to be too close to the F5 TCC. Perhaps making it somewhat longer would fulfill a need? Lot of scopes now on the market are running at F7 or a bit longer. Is that ideal?

Roland
Thats a good question, and I don't know if there is one answer.  I'm strictly an imager, and for me you've already achieved what would be most important to me.  Fast and wide.  550mm FL at f5 with an IMX455 chip is pretty much the panacea for widefield/high resolution imaging.

If I was looking for one scope to do it all, perhaps the 110 with an f5 reducer and an f7 flattener would be the best way to go.  I tend to agree that f6 would be too close to f5, I'm not sure where the incentive would be to have both a reducer and n f6 flattener.

I guess I think that the flattener for this scope is icing on the cake, but what really makes it special is the reducer (from an imaging perspective).

I already have a 130GTX with the flattener, so perhaps that shapes my viewpoint.

A superfast, widefield imaging BEAST is what the 110 screams, in my opinion.  F5!