Re: Gibbous!

Alan Friedman

Thank you all for the nice notes and thumbs up. It’s been a very lovely week here in Buffalo after a long winter and cloudy spring. I was able to observe the sun every morning this week!

Clear and sunny skies,
Alan

On May 12, 2022, at 7:15 PM, Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:

Sooo beautiful! Nicely done Alan!

Stuart

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 5:49 PM Alan Friedman <alan@...> wrote:

Greetings,

Such a beautiful night last night to be out under the moon as it waxes toward its date with the earth's shadow this weekend. Maybe it will be clear and steady that night too?

I set up my A-P 155 edfs refractor to take some pictures and see how a new mirrorless camera would work in the focuser. Shot about 80 exposures with a 2X Powermate (2.2 meter effective focal length) and many were pretty good, but not up to what can be rendered with my 6mp streaming monochrome camera at prime focus (1100mm). After some experimentation, I processed the monochrome image and then sized and rotated the color image from the mirrorless camera as a color layer above the luminance data, which gave me a sharp rendering with the subtle mineral hues of the dusty lunar surface.

You might enjoy roving around the full size jpg file:

https://avertedimagination.com/img_pages/Gibbous!.html

clear and steady skies!

Alan