Re: Use of cover…

Jay Freeman

A related story, though non-AP and non-photographic: I was once in the old lion house at the San Francisco Zoo. The lions were well separated from visitors, by thick bars and considerable distance. Notwithstanding, one lion that I was looking at was staring directly back at me, and roaring -- repeatedly and loudly. I thought for a moment, then took off my sunglasses (large, "aviator" style), and put them in my pocket.

The roaring stopped.

I suspect the lion was reacting to the large, dark lenses as big wide eyes, and a direct stare is perceived as a threat pretty much all across the animal kingdom.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
---------------------
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com
(personal web site)

On May 1, 2022, at 5:40 PM, Pete Lardizabal <p14@...> wrote:

Evening All,

Cover takes many forms. Protection from the elements or in today’s example concealment from wildlife. It doesn’t take much depending on the setting. Often birds key on potential predators eyes. If they don’t see “eyes” they tend to be more at ease. Polarized sunglasses can help but nothing beats a good barrier.

Attached are links to an example of a simple and extremely effective barrier and an image captured with this simple setup.

Bluebird image captured at prime focus with the AP130EDFGT and Canon EOS R at prime focus. Image cropped to taste.

😉

Take Care,