Re: Hubble vs C14

Roland Christen

I recall when our Howard set up his AP140 refractor at a nearby 4th of July fireworks event. With Saturn in the eyepiece the kids all lined up to see the ringed planet. Then they ran and dragged their parents over. We had quite a line, which continued to rotate with the kids running to the back of the line to look again and again. Lots of ohs and ahs, and a lot of the kids actually ignored the fireworks for a while 'cause Saturn was much more interesting. I'm sure that most of them had seen Hubble and Voyager images, but this was real!

From: Eric Weiner <weinere@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Nov 24, 2021 5:37 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Hubble vs C14

"There's something about the visual experience that cannot be duplicated by seeing the image on a screen. Visual imaging is like looking out of a spacecraft porthole, one that is 600x closer to the planet than what the ancients saw when gazing at them with their unaided eyes. It's also dynamic, shimmering slightly in good seeing, at the moment very real, almost like you could reach out and hold the tiny orb in your hand."

Completely agree. Imaging is a lot of fun, and allows us to observe objects impossible for most of us through an ep, but visual observation is a much more corporeal experience. Saturn on a screen sure is pretty, but at 600x under good skies it is mind blowing.

Eric