Re: [ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

thefamily90 Phillips

I like the stainless steel chain technique! Nice!!

Jim

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Harley Davidson <astrocnc@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:09:34 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] [ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

JimP and all

Yes, I have evolved the way I set up my 175 over time to set it up quicker without issues. In this video from 2016 I used this technique  https://youtu.be/JHN3eqDzcRU?t=276  (should open at correct location in video). It was in park 5 position. Worked great BUT had the weights out off the side and needed to use the chains as seen in the video. I used to use a light stand as seen at this point in the 2016 video  https://youtu.be/JHN3eqDzcRU?t=226  which is much like what Jim does.

But then I tried what I now do in park 2 position. Either way I have to lift the scope. BUT, no chains needed and the CW's are down. No weight off to one side of the mount for me anymore and less equipment needed to setup.

thanks  tony

On 10/13/2021 6:49 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
Everyone who has been using telescopes for very long (50+ years for me) has his or her own way of doing things that work. Tony was just showing us his technique for his AP 175. He was not advocating it for anyone else. 
You might be horrified to see me (with  help) mounting a big scope with the counterweights held up by a step ladder. Holding the counterweights up while removing the scope is important because once the scope is removed, the counterweights will swing down potentially crashing into me! I don’t suggest anyone use this technique but, I have used it successfully for decades, without incident. 

JimP 

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Harley Davidson <astrocnc@...>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2021 4:44:50 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] [ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

Fernando

My video is with a 175 refractor, not what you mention below. Various scopes may require other techniques. Also, what one person can accomplish another may not be able to. Just showing my way. I have absolutely no problem with the way I do it. We are talking about perhaps 50 lbs. That's not much weight, at least for me. I do consider myself to be in good shape though. I have a treadmill in my living room which I use twice a day and stay very active.

You will see that I have a handle at the center of balance. I can easily pick up the scope with my left hand and use my right hand on the base of the dovetail. Lifting it up and placing it in the saddle as I describe. The handle gives me a secure grasp of the scope. Depending where I place my mount on my property I may have to carry the 175 several hundred feet to get it to the mount from inside my house. No issues. A simple lift onto the mount is nothing after that.

No way would I try to mount the scope with rings opened and laying the scope in them. But that's me. Not everyone would agree.

BTW, send me that brand new PlaneWave 14 and I will demonstrate. One caveat, you won't be getting it back :)   {I wouldn't own a C14 or a Meade 16}

tony

On 10/12/2021 11:02 PM, fernandorivera3 via groups.io wrote:
Anyone here who is 100% sure that this technique is completely safe & not a risky maneuver at all, please feel free to demonstrate but with a C14, PlaneWave 14 or even better, a Meade 16 SCT 🤔

Fernando

--
Jim Phillips

--
Jim Phillips

Join main@ap-ug.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.