Re: [ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

thefamily90 Phillips

I like the stainless steel chain technique! Nice!!

Jim

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> on behalf of Harley Davidson <astrocnc@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2021 5:09:34 AM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] [ap-gto] Two videos about the AP 175 F/8 refractor

JimP and all

Yes, I have evolved the way I set up my 175 over time to set it up quicker without issues. In this video from 2016 I used this technique  https://youtu.be/JHN3eqDzcRU?t=276  (should open at correct location in video). It was in park 5 position. Worked great BUT had the weights out off the side and needed to use the chains as seen in the video. I used to use a light stand as seen at this point in the 2016 video  https://youtu.be/JHN3eqDzcRU?t=226  which is much like what Jim does.

But then I tried what I now do in park 2 position. Either way I have to lift the scope. BUT, no chains needed and the CW's are down. No weight off to one side of the mount for me anymore and less equipment needed to setup.

thanks  tony

On 10/13/2021 6:49 AM, thefamily90 Phillips wrote:
Everyone who has been using telescopes for very long (50+ years for me) has his or her own way of doing things that work. Tony was just showing us his technique for his AP 175. He was not advocating it for anyone else.
You might be horrified to see me (with  help) mounting a big scope with the counterweights held up by a step ladder. Holding the counterweights up while removing the scope is important because once the scope is removed, the counterweights will swing down potentially crashing into me! I don’t suggest anyone use this technique but, I have used it successfully for decades, without incident.

JimP