Re: The Beast is heading to Hawaii..

ROBERT WYNNE

Close within several hundred miles. You must have been in some strong headwinds flying from Hawaii to SF as the average time is around 4.5 hours. Also not fair to judge distance by airtime due jet stream can be over 200 mph going east and rarely seen spanning the entire continental US. Try flying to Hawaii during a pineapple express. Flight times can exceed 7 hours. -Best, Robert

On 10/13/2021 5:26 PM Christopher Erickson <christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:

I just went to Spain for NASA/SwRI and it was 5.5 hours from Kona to SF, 5.5 hours from SF to Newark and 7.5 hours from Newark to Madrid.

I think the distance from Kona to SF is pretty darn close to the distance from SF to Newark.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory engineer
Waikoloa, HI 96738
www.summitkinetics.com

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021, 10:54 AM ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:
It's a funny kind of situation for the to and from Hawaii. The distance between the west coast and Hawaii is less than between San Francisco and the east coast. Most people think of Hawaii as a remote destination but it's the opposite situation and think shipping costs to Hawaii might be higher than from coast to coast in the continental US. -Best, Robert
On 10/13/2021 12:37 PM James Stone <jrs7r@...> wrote:

Having recently acquired a scope from Hawaii, I have learned you can ship by FedEx “ground” to/from Hawaii, and it’s pretty close to the air delivery options, given the paucity of currently available courier trucks that cross the Pacific Ocean.

On Oct 13, 2021, at 3:30 PM, Chris Cook <chris@...> wrote:

If going by ship it might take a while for delivery.
Might want to go by air instead.