Re: Questoin for Roland: Waited too long to buy 175TCC (discontinued) for my 175EDF....is QUADTCC is as good of a solution.

ROBERT WYNNE

Thanks again.

My confusion arises out of the 67PF582 specification. The initial line starts stating, 2.7" Prime focus Field Flattener. This seems to specifically exclude those scopes that have a 4" focuser. But are you recommending the 67PF582 is compatible with a 4" focuser for a 155?

Having said all that has been said in this exchange why or what is the driver or shortcoming that would cause one to choose the 67PF582 FF over the Quad TCC other than shorter focal length and faster exposure times or the upcoming newer version?

Because I am gearing up for imaging in the near future I would not be too enthusiastic about installing a 67PF582 only to later find out I have acquired a camera whose imaging chip FOV is greater than allowed by the current 67PF582 FF.

If the current A-P FF is available why are so many complaining that they are having trouble locating one even on the secondary market. I should have stated I already have the 67PF582 which you recommended for my 127 F8 and appears interchangeable upward to the 155? I doubt there is occasion where I would need the same FF for both scopes at the same time. I suppose there's the option of having both the soon to be released QuadTCC with the 67PF582 for conditions that may use of one or the other. No problemo.

I haven't felt like the village idiot in some time. But it is somewhat refreshing to get sent back to the first grade. I only wish it were true for the rest of other parts of my body.

Best,
Robert

On 06/30/2021 5:11 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

If you have the 155 scope, then there is a field flattener available for it. It is the 67PF582. There will also be a QuadTCC for this 155 scope available as we are finishing up the optics. It will be available soon.

No field flattener or telecompressor is required for visual use of this scope.
The 67PF582 field flattener is available and can be used for imaging with any camera, CCD, CMOS or digital.
The Quad TCC will reduce the focal length of the F7 scope and produce a wider flat field for any CCD, CMOS or Digital camera that you may wish to use.

That's all there is accessory-wise, and that applies to any of our scopes. There is nothing further needed for imaging.

I hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Rolando

-----Original Message-----
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 30, 2021 6:55 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Questoin for Roland: Waited too long to buy 175TCC (discontinued) for my 175EDF....is QUADTCC is as good of a solution.

I'd rather take this up off the board. I started out feeling I only needed a FF which is no longer available for a recently acquired 155. The only FF on the A-P site available is: 

2.7" Prime Focus Field Flattener for 140 f/7.5 StarFire EDF, 130 f/8.35 StarFire EDT, 155 f/7 StarFire EDFS, Star130ED, Star12ED, 5" f/8 StarFire and 5" f/8 Standard (67PF582)

You & I exchanged messages on this topic and you referred me to the A-P website in what was a possible confusion on my part about the use of the FF vs a TC. And I may yet still be confused except for one issue you advised. The answer to that issue was what I expected when questioned about the use of both a FF and TC - the combination is not possible. 

My 155 arrived sans FF but with a 4" extension. Despite your advice I can find no A-P material that describes the utility of a FF compared to a TC. Only the FF web material seems to provide the end user of its scope and purpose. The TC seems to allude its use is primarily to move the focal point of the scope inward to effect focus inward onto the focal plane of a CCD or CMOS chip. Both purposes are desirable as far as I can determine. I would like round stars out to the corners and be able to bring that image into focus onto a mid large - large chip depending on schedule.

From the string of recent posts there seems a bit of demand for a FF that spans a number of scopes of this vintage and size. I was advised I could remove the 4" focuser and replace it with a 3.5 focuser after which a FF is available. The answer to your question to me is: not certain. Couple that with a tacit word that a suitable replacement may be forthcoming that somewhat does double duty without replacement of the 4" focuser - a 4" focuser replacement is something I would not prefer to replace except under your advice. But I will follow freshest advice given from the master of all things A-P.

My plan at this point, is observing through the 155 until a better mount and or FF becomes available, at which point I intend to advance into astrophotography as my skill set allows. -Best, Robert
On 06/30/2021 4:13 PM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Wha t exactly would a multi-function TCC/FF do? Is it something for visual you are looking for or something for imaging? What would it do for either function?

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io; Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Wed, Jun 30, 2021 5:33 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] Questoin for Roland: Waited too long to buy 175TCC (discontinued) for my 175EDF....is QUADTCC is as good of a solution.

Tried to respond via your personal e-mail account rather than make a public post of the subject. My message was returned as undeliverable. -Best, Robert
On 06/30/2021 10:16 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

No t sure what you are referring to.

Rolando

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io; Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...>
Sent: Wed, Jun 30, 2021 11:59 am

Is a new multi function TCC/FF corrector in the cards? -Best, Robert
On 06/30/2021 7:06 AM Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011@...> wrote:

Ye s, you can use the QTCC that we make now. You will need to add an adapter to your 4" focuser to fit the QTCC. Talk to George at AP for further info.

Roland

To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Wed, Jun 30, 2021 7:37 am
Subject: [ap-ug] Questoin for Roland: Waited too long to buy 175TCC (discontinued) for my 175EDF....is QUADTCC is as good of a solution.

Hi Roland,

I've put Wanted ads for a 175CC on Astromart and Cloudy Nights and offered up to $2000...but no one wants to sale theirs.

How big of a mistake did I make, or is QUADTCC just as good with no vignetting?

Join main@ap-ug.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.