Re: Using 67PF562 flattener with 130 F6.3 GT

ROBERT WYNNE

A-P uses strap wrenches. They must have a way of gripping a circumference without damaging either the locking ring or focusing barrel that is not commonly available to the general public. The locking ring has large knurled intervals which allow for a good hand grasp and are tempting as gripping surfaces in a vise. I didn't do that as the amount of compression required to adequately vise  the ring may will permanently damage it. In past years I've had machine shops in my responsibility after having worked my way up from tool maker from my teens. I've seen seized parts caused by a variety of methods but none matches this one. This includes a 12" diameter 18" long Ti tapered dowel pin which freed up after several hours of soak time in a furnace. It went clunk on the lower platen, heard 'round the shop when it freed itself. All breathed a sigh of relief on that one. -Best, Robert

On 05/26/2021 2:35 PM Jeffc <jeffcrilly@...> wrote:

I’m imagining there’s a tool at AP… CNC machined… which precisely mates up with the knurls on these parts.
Or maybe AP uses strap wrenches…

On May 26, 2021, at 1:36 PM, ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:

In my case there are no spanner holes of slots. Believe me I would have made one if I had the chance. -Best, Robert
On 05/26/2021 11:21 AM M Hambrick <mhambrick563@...> wrote:

Are there any holes in either piece that would allow you to use a real spanner wrench ? There are two 1/8” holes in the face of my AD2767 that I assumed were intended to allow a spanner wrench to be used. Before I got the strap wrenches I made a home made spanner out of aluminum bar stock and 1/8” dowel pins that worked great.

On May 25, 2021, at 1:47 PM, John Jennings <johnrogerjennings@...> wrote:

They must be tight! I've had a few choice words with my stuff throughout the years...

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 1:41 PM ROBERT WYNNE < robert-wynne@...> wrote:
These are very similar to the pair I purchased .>$40.00. The ribs would slip before gaining traction. I sent them back. I decided to attempt my older oil filter strap wrenches and they failed as well. The locking ring and adjustable rotating lens are tightly cinched - locked - and require return to A-P for another round of unseizing. It's my fault for not understanding the mechanism. Had I known I was effectively executing a lock nut on top of a thread run to its maximum I would have never parked the scope in its current position. -Best, Robert
On 05/25/2021 7:26 AM johnrogerjennings@... wrote:

Just replaced my 15 year old strap wrenches with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8FNN6A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The good news is that they have ribs on the rubber that will help with slippage.