Re: Steel Pier recommendations

ROBERT WYNNE

Even then consider a "portable" aluminum 10" dia. pier 48" tall will give one  pause before moving. -Best, Robert

On 05/26/2021 1:02 PM Stuart <stuart.j.heggie@...> wrote:

I'd echo Christopher's comments without amendment and would draw your attention especially to his comment about aluminum vs. steel. You only have to move your steel pier once to realize why you like your aluminum piers more. ;-)

On Wed, 26 May 2021 at 15:57, Christopher Erickson < christopher.k.erickson@...> wrote:
Tapered piers are much more resistant to ringing than straight piers.

A tapered X-pier would have much better thermal characteristics than a round, triangular or squared tubular pier.

Adding sand, oiled-sand, sawdust, etc. to a ringing pier will not stop the ringing. Only filling with concrete will do that.

Up until the appearance of "affordable," commercially-available, amateur telescopes and mounts in the 50's and 60's with cheap, straight, round tubular piers, all serious telescopes, both professional and amateur, had tapered piers.

Any decent machine shop can make you an excellent tapered X-pier from standard plate steel or plate aluminum stock.

Tapered X-piers also are more convenient for cable management and for adding shelves, etc.

Drilling holes in them will also slightly improve their thermal characteristics and shorten their cool-down times.

-Christopher Erickson
Observatory Engineer
Summit Kinetics
Waikoloa, Hawaii

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 9:44 AM Brian Valente < bvalente@...> wrote:
Hi folks

I'm looking for any recommendations on a steel pier for a permanent observatory mount

fabricator? product? other??

we are installing a couple piers in our new observatory and did not want to build up the cement all the way.  This would be for Mach 2 maybe AP1100  type mount

Thanks for any tips or suggestions

Brian

Brian Valente