Re: CA when observing moon

Arvind

Thanks for confirming Roland.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 00:15 Roland Christen via groups.io <chris1011=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
The 130GTX has zero lateral color.
All eyepieces have lateral color to some greater or lesser extent.

From: Arvind <base16@...>
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Sent: Thu, Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm
Subject: Re: [ap-ug] CA when observing moon

Thanks for your inputs, all.

It was slightly cloudy last night but had a few minutes here and there to try this out.

Tried with my Ethos 17, and my usual planetary eyepiece -- Nagler 3-6mm, and also with Panoptic 24+Powermate 2x. The Nagler had zero CA but ofcourze it was zoomed in when I was viewing at 6mm and 5mm (4mm was not at all comfortable). Ethos had just a tiny bit of CA farther from the center. The Powermate 2x on the Panoptic 24 didn't help - the edge that is farthest from the center of the eyepiece still had noticeable CA.

Perhaps I'm getting more picky / getting better at observing, because I somehow don't remember seeing this on my Tele Vue NP127is. It's possible that I just didn't notice the CA on my other scopes even if it was present.  I gave away the 127is now since I got the 130gtx so I can't do a side by side comparison.

Best regards,
Arvind

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 6:02 AM thefamily90 Phillips <thefamily90@...> wrote:
If you used another 24 Panoptic you have not removed the source of the problem. If a 24 Panoptic causes the color then  all 24 Panoptics will likely do the same thing. You need to try a different eyepiece but not another 24 Panoptic.

Jim