Re: Roland's October 1981 Sky & Telescope article: "An Apochromatic Triplet Objective"

Jay Freeman

I can (barely) remember when rotary phones would have been called "high-tech", except that the term had not been invented yet. Would you folks know what to do if you put a phone to your ear and heard someone saying "Number, please"? (Wouldn't that be a cute feature when opening a 'phone app?)

And there are still plenty of telescope mirrors that predate Roland's triplets, and even predate Roland, that are still doing yeoman duty today.

-- Jay Reynolds Freeman
Jay_Reynolds_Freeman@...
http://JayReynoldsFreeman.com
(personal web site)

On Feb 23, 2021, at 12:41 PM, ROBERT WYNNE <robert-wynne@...> wrote:

Anyone seen a video of a millennial attempting to use a rotary phone for the  first time without instruction? Hilarious. What we take for granted is already lost to the ages. -Best, Robert
On 02/23/2021 12:27 PM James Stone <jrs7r@...> wrote:

It’s amazing how useful a Christen triplet from that era remains as compared other contemporary technological innovations such as the rotary dial telephone. Some things really do stand the test of time.