Re: RS-232

Ray Gralak

What are you connecting your CP4 RS-232 directly to? What other external devices have RS-232 ports? Why
continue to rely on RS-232-to-USB adapters anymore? I would think that most AP mount owners who connect
their mounts to an external device, commonly a laptop or imaging device, they would only need USB ports. RS-
232 is so old and outdated.
Some things:

* GTOCP4/5 has Ethernet, WiFi, USB, and RS232 ports.

* USB is known to have reliability issues.

* USB cables are limited to 15 feet without active extenders.

* USB plugs are not physically very secure. That is, they are easy to get pulled out especially with only 15 feet of cord.

* Many customers are still using RS232 ports, so getting rid of them would not be wise.

* You can still get computers with built-in RS232 ports and add in cards are cheap and very reliable.

* You can run serial cables several hundred feet.