Re: RS-232

Steve Reilly

Look at the CP 4 and you’ll see many options of which includes RS-232. Win 10 can easily run RS232 ports and the hardware is available. I use StarTech PCIe boards on new builds. As for laptops, I don’t even try to run an observatory on one especially if imaging. I use the Ethernet connection as primary with a RS232 backup.

-Steve

From: main@ap-ug.groups.io <main@ap-ug.groups.io> On Behalf Of Peter Natscher
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:43 PM
To: main@ap-ug.groups.io
Subject: [ap-ug] RS-232

Why does Astro-Physics continue to use RS-232 in their CP mount electronics?  This adds to the difficulty of upgrading the electronics with current computers, especially operating in Win 10.  What other telescope mount maker uses RS-232?  These plugs are not on current laptops, they are so old system developed in 1968!  Today's electronics only need USB.